Who's it for?
This 5-day course is perfect for people who have been in a sea kayak before but want to learn more. Minimum requirement is that you must have some experience in a kayak. We will start by using sheltered areas and will work up to using different environments throughout the week.
The course aims to build confidence and learn new skills in a relaxed and fun learning environment. Practice is an important part of learning too. Our aim is to guide you to becoming a competent kayaker in your own right.
- Launching and landing
- Boat control and paddling techniques
- Safety and rescue training
- Becoming a competent member of a group
- Basic route planning, tides and weather
- Exploring the local area
- Practicing in different locations and conditions
We have so many options directly from the door, depending on conditions, we might launch and land on different areas on the islands around the area.
The exact itinerary is open to change, we have included an example itinerary below. We have years of experience of living on an island and adapt what we do to the weather conditions and tides.
Sunday - arrive at Easdale and travel to The Island by powerboat. Welcome meal and chat.
Monday - Sea kayak day paddle with a focus on building skills and techniques. Finishing the day with rescue systems to build confidence.
Tuesday - Day paddle with a journey focus to explore the local area.
Wednesday - Rest day from kayaking. Our confidence builder courses include a day off the water where your instructor might take you for a walk over one of the tidal islands to a local beach, take a swim, or perhaps some fishing?
Thursday - Kayak skill development and journey day. Practice is an important part of learning and consolidating your skills with another journey is an important part of this course.
Friday - Final day of kayaking and journey back to the Isle of Seil for departure by 5:30pm.
5 day sea kayak confidence builder
- Accommodation in twin shared room.
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. (arrival dinner is also included on the Sunday night)
- Kayak/ activity instruction each day
- Boat transport to and from the island
- Use of all relevant equipment for sea kayaking (Kayaks, paddles, spray decks, buoyancy aids, cags (waterproof jacket), long-john wetsuits, small dry bags.